Monday, July 27, 2015

How Can Hooliganism Affect A Sporting Event?

Many outsiders would think that the behavior displayed in this video is unique. I would say that is as unsafe of an environment that one could compete in. Being in the field that I am, I am able to speak to many different athletes that play professional sports over in Europe. When I asked them what the biggest difference is playing here in the United States and playing in Europe is they say the fans. "Things are a lot crazier than any other place I have seen here in America," one athlete told me. When playing basketball you should be focused on things like what defense is the other team playing or what does this offensive player like to do when he gets the ball. "Over there you have to focus on not getting drilled with things like coins or receipt rolls." When playing this past season, my friend told me that a game got called off in the second quarter because a player and an official had to go back to the locker room because they were struck in the head with objects that were thrown from the stands.
That example maybe on the extreme side but it is something that happens quite frequently. Other examples include fighting in the stands and flares being lit inside the arena or stadium. Now I have never played in an environment like this but I would imagine I would be worried more about my well being rather than a turnover that I may have just committed. The crowd behavior does not have to have a physical affect on myself or someone else to affect the game. In the players mind they are worrying about what is going on in the stands rather than the game which could be detrimental. If the athlete does not perform at a high level then the athlete will not have a spot on the team and will not have a job.
Hooliganism can affect the game directly or indirectly. I guess as a fan that is why you participate in such actions. You want to affect the game in a way that creates an advantage for your team. Is these the best ways to give your team an advantage, absolutely not but I can see why some people do some of the things they do as long as it doesn't put others in harms way. Being disorderly and aggressive in your cheering strategies is a good thing but when you become violent then things need to change. If you want to be violent then join the military. Don't attack those who are at a sporting event trying to earn a living or enjoy a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment